Dear CCFA members and friends,
We are all greatly saddened by the recent tragedy happened in China. The earthquake has killed thousands of people and left the lives and dreams of many more shattered. It's heart-breaking to see the parents line up to identify the bodies of their children being dug up from the rubbles.
The CCFA executive team calls upon our community to donate your time and resources to help relieve the impact of the disaster. Here's what you can do:
1. Donate money to the charity organizations directly involved in the disaster relief in China
2. Reach out to your local MP and urge the Canadian government to a) Set up a relief fund for China earthquake; and b) Match citizen's donations dollar for dollar (This was done in the last Asian Tsunami.)
Type your postal code here to find the contact info of
your local MP:
To maximize the impact of your donation, the following factors need to be considered:
1. A bank deposit is better than on-line credit card donation as the latter may subject to transaction fees
2. Some charities have higher expense ratios than others
3. Some charities e.g. China Red Cross, do not issue receipts that are tax deductible in Canada
CCFA volunteers have offered to collect the funds and deposit it into the Bank of China (Canada) account set up by the Chinese community in Canada.
Account Name: China Sichuan Earthquake Relief Fund（中国四川地震救助基金）
This account is in the process of applying charity status, which should be just a matter of time, so that an official tax receipt will be issued later. At this moment, each donor will get a receipt of deposit at the Bank of China. The funds will be send directly to Red Cross of China.
CCFA Donation Process
1. Contact one of the following CCFA volunteer to donate before May 23
Name Employer Address Email Phone
Zhen Wu TD Canada Trust 28th floor, 66 Wellington St. West firstname.lastname@example.org
Diana Zhang Scoita Bank 29th floor, 40 King Street West email@example.com
Elaine Jiang RBC Dexia 7th Floor, 77 King St. W. firstname.lastname@example.org
MARK LI Toyota Credit Canada Inc. 80 Micro Court, Suite 200, Markham email@example.com
(905)513-8200 ext. 4240
Jing Zhang TD Wealth Management 8th floor, 77 Bloor Street West firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Liao BMO Financial Group 23rd Floor, 100 King St West. Michael.email@example.com
Yang Han BMO Financial Group firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Liang Schulich Business School email@example.com
Shirley Cai TD securities Ernst yonge Tower 10 ShirleyMingqi.Cai@tdsecurities.com
416 308 3919
Ritchie He Royal Bank firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Provide the following information to the CCFA volunteer:
Preferred charity other than the Bank of China account
Whether or not you want to have you name appear in the CCFA donation report
3. CCFA will consolidate all the funds and deposit it into the Bank of China account or other designated charity bank accounts.
4. CCFA will coordinate the tax receipt for you.